The National Pensions Institute building was eventually built to a design by Aalto, but at a smaller scale and on a different site, in 1957. It is on a triangular site in Helsinki, surrounded by Nördenskjöldinkatu, Minna Canthin katu and Messeniuksenkatu. The shape of the site and the way the building complex is linked to the surrounding environment is handled in the same way as at Säynätsalo. A severe and distinctive main elevation has a group of buildings behind it that follow the partly rocky terrain and open onto a park at the back. In the case of the National Pensions Institute building, the park forms an axis that runs through the district of taka-Töölö and terminates in another public building, Lastenlinna, the children’s hospital, completed in 1948.