Jyväskylän kaupunki » Jyväskylän Kangas » History

History

Kangas paper mill was one of the first Finnish paper mills. It was founded in 1872 by Baron Hjalmar Åkerhjelm and opened in 1874.

Culturally and historically the most important features are the red-brick mill buildings, the earliest parts of which date from 1874. Various extensions to the paper mill are reflected in its multi-layered construction and production history.  The brick chimney, built in 1936, is a prominent historical landmark in the silhouette of industrial Jyväskylä. In the 1970s the newer part of the paper mill assumed its present form; the final extensions were added in the 1980s and are currently in passable condition.

The paper mill was closed in 2010 and the area of 27 hectares became the property of the City of Jyväskylä in November 2011.

Avaapa sanainen arkkusi